YAHOO! Sports broadcasts a weekly Fantasy Football show reviewing all aspects of the NFL current season.
The show is an interactive show which lets viewers call in, web conference or tweet their comments and opinions on their favorite players and teams. As an interactive show YAHOO needed a solution that could deliver player and team statistics quickly and easily with the most up to date statistics in a reliable fashion.
A customized solution was developed to meet the requirements of Yahoo. The solution incorporated the reading of 3 different data feeds to compile the most up to date statistics possible. Data feeds automatically provide the current injury reports, player and team statistics. Using a client-server workflow the custom graphic application can be run from a laptop on the network to drive the Xpression graphic system. This workflow allows a second operator to use Xpression at the same time for any additional needs such as lower thirds.
Problem: With so much data available the operator is overwhelmed trying to retrieve it fast enough to keep up with a live program.
Solution: By building a custom software application Bannister was able to present all the NFL data in an organized fashion in a single screen. From here the operator can quickly select a player or team and display any or all of the statistics available within seconds.
Problem: Viewers that call into the show are pre-screened so it is known what topics they wish to discuss just before they are on air. During this very short period of time the operator needs to prepare as many statistics as possible which could come out of the callers dialog.
Solution: The application allows the operator to start typing, “man” for example, and it automatically filters the names. Using a ‘;’ separator the operator can quickly type multiple names resulting in a much more condense list of NFL players for that call.
Customer: The Shopping Channel
Application: Bannister Lake Macro Application and Still Store
Platform: RossVideo XPression Studio
The Shopping Channel, Canada’s premiere broadcast retail Channel based in Mississauga Ontario worked with Bannister Lake to develop an automated broadcast graphics solution for their broadcast workflow.
- Bannister Lake Macro Application reads the product inventory database to generate graphics for each one-hour segment.
- Name Keys, Colors, Sizes, Star Rating and product availability is also generated with each segment.
- Operators can manually intervene to edit or modify segments and Text content while on air.
- Recap stills of each segment are captured by the Still Store, then saved to IPV for archive and proof of play.
- A log file is generated for each take item with Time Stamp, Item number and Product Description
- The log is encoded into the clean feed for Digital and Web applications.
- This configuration is mirrored in the Main and Backup Control Rooms for redundancy.
Cheddar TV required a comprehensive Financial Dashboard application to manage and generate all on air graphics for their daily broadcast from the New York Stock Exchange.
- Dashboard application automatically connects to Xignite Financial data feed.
- UI provides stock ticker preview and modules to create Bugs, Stock Charts, Bumpers, Name Keys, Lower Thirds and Banners.
- Quick filters to setup stock chart comparisons, desktop preview of charts then quick add to playlist;
- Click drag and drop to change items in playlists.
- Drop Down range menu to select time including, Intraday padded, Intraday, 2 day padded, 5 day, 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, Year to Date padded, 1 > 5 year and user (Custom) ranges.
- Application supports overnight (after market) generation of content.
Customer: Bell Media – CTV News
Platform: Chameleon and RossVideo XPression
CTV News Channel, CTV’s National 24/7 News Channel, required a refresh on their HD look to display News, Finance, Scores, Weather and Breaking News.
- Chameleon ingests News, Finance, Scores and Weather data sources into its centralized database.
- Operators edit content, rundowns and schedules for each zone.
- Breaking News Items are triggered automatically without operator intervention.
- Imagine ADC automation triggers Chameleon Player layout (state) for Commercial Breaks and special segments.
- To ensure output and on air reliability, Chameleon Player uses a combination of Timecode, GPI, Serial (Sercom) and IP triggers.
- Automatic replication of Main and Backup Chameleon Servers are connected to mirrored XPression BlueBox systems for fail over and redundancy.
Global News required a comprehensive, dynamic ‘real-time’ election package to manage their Election results and on air output for the 2011 and 2014 Ontario Provincial Elections. Bannister Lake Elector on RossVideo’s XPression BlueBox provided Global News with a superior level of editorial and graphic control for their entire election telecast.
- Easy and reliable support for Election Consortium Feed with full support for automated and manually entered results.
- Flow, BL Elector’s web based content management dashboard, provided a centralized hub for dozens of talent, producers and political analysts to the “real time” election data. Data included, Charts, candidate and riding context, ‘what-if’ scenarios and alerts that assisted in highlighting close and interesting races.
- Playlist building from within Flow allowed workload to be offloaded from the on-air operator with the result being a dynamic and exciting telecast.
- Elector’s standardized graphics specification allowed unlimited graphic design freedom without programming modifications.
- Flow’s candidate management module allowed easy addition of candidate head shots for on air broadcast.
- Elector Player output to multiple HD channels using RossVideo XPression BlueBox.
Global News required a comprehensive, dynamic News ticker package to manage display of news, weather, sports and traffic information for their 4 production centers in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. Bannister Lake provided Super Ticker, a enterprise broadcast branding solution that integrated seamlessly with their existing XPression MOS workflow.
- Easy and reliable support for Weather, Sports, Traffic, Business and News data with full support for automated data feeds and manually entered data.
- Flow for Super Ticker is a web based content management dashboard that provides a centralized hub for dozens of producers to access content for their programs.
- Building of show rundown within Flow allows this task to be offloaded from the on-air operator.
- Supports streamlined work flow from graphic design through to content scheduling and facilitates any required last minute boards or tickers.
- Supports streamlined work flow from graphic design to content scheduling and last minute boards or tickers.
- Super Ticker Player outputs to multiple HD channels using RossVideo XPression BlueBox.
- New Ticker Player channels can be added without affecting existing Ticker Players.
2010 CTV Canada AM was looking for a ticker solution to display weather, traffic, finance, scores and news. Chameleon was used as the solution.
- Each station manages local news, sports and weather content.
- Content administration of 7 channels are managed by CTV Agincourt.
TVO required a comprehensive ‘real-time’ turnkey election package to manage their Election results for the Agenda’s coverage of the 2011 and 2014 Ontario Provincial Elections. Bannister Lake Elector on RossVideo’s XPression BlueBox provided TVO with a superior level of editorial and graphic control for their entire election telecast.
- Reliable connection to Consortium Feed with full support for automated and manually entered results.
- Flow, BL Elector’s web based content management dashboard, provided a centralized hub for TVO talent, producers and political analysts to the “real time” election data. Data included, candidate and riding context, scenarios and alerts that assisted in highlighting close and tight races.
- Elector’s standardized graphics specification allowed TVO unlimited graphic design freedom without programming modifications.
- Flow’s candidate management module allowed easy addition of candidate head shots for on air broadcast.
- Main and Backup Elector Players output to 2 Channel RossVideo XPression BlueBox.
Rogers TV required a comprehensive and intuitive client/server application to drive on air graphics for their coverage of the 2009 OHL Hockey season. The Ross Xpression Studio SCE platform and Bannister Lake OHL Hockey application ensures on air graphic and branding consistency for every Rogers TV OHL telecast.
- The Hockey Client interface controls the Hockey Server residing on Xpression Studio.
- Group One provides the operator with forms and presets to display Pregame, Lineups, Name and Player Keys information.
- Scorebug group has individual applications to control the ScoreBug, Special Teams and Shootout information.
- Forms are provided for Out of Town Scores, Game Story, Scoring Summary, Statistics, Post Game. Playoff Tree and Credits.
- Utilities are provided with internet connection to update the local database of Players, Goalie and League statistics anytime during the game.
- Built in League Editor allows support for other Hockey Leagues.
- Hockey Client can run locally on Xpression Studio or remote PC as a backup client.
- Native HD 1080i Xpression project file is down converted internally in real time by Xpression providing NTSC 4:3 output.
- Solution is currently deployed on 21 RossVideo Xpression Studio SCE systems.
Rogers Media required an intuitive and scalable HD on air branding solution for their broadcast properties across Canada. Bannister Lake Brando provided Rogers staff at Lakeshore in Toronto with the ability to schedule lower-thirds, next ups, bugs, bumpers, voice overs and ticker for hubs in Toronto and Calgary with initial support for 18 Brando Players/channels.
- High quality HD broadcast output with infinite graphic layers using RossVideo Xpression BlueBox with tight integration with XPression scenes.
- Supports Bugs, Tickers, Bumpers, Next Ups, Voice Overs, Lower 3rds and Program embedded promos.
- Multi-channel support all in one user interface with a flexible and secure web interface for content management and scheduling.
- Master Control player status and graphics override with scene preview from Brando Switcher module.
- Deploy graphics to Brando Players simply using Xpression Project Server and Brando Gears.
- Streamlined work flow from graphic design to content scheduling and last minute boards or tickers.
- Flexible scene tags provide a way to create templates with program information, temperature, time, captions and sponsor clips.